Bonus Zonal Anomalies
I follow Trey over at From The Sorcerer's Skull who has just published some thoughts about the design of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-style anomalies. Here are some bonus anomalies based on Trey's design:
- Jittery: A wiggly anomaly, this one only dances arbitrarily around a single point.
- Bouncy: This one bounces up and down, back and forth, or in hops and skips over the landscape.
- Orbiting: Swings around a central point.
- Flame Eruption: Spontaneous flames and residual burn marks. Some hair singes with a wisp of smoke.
- Dusting: Produces fine grains or particles of material throughout.
- Exploding: An object in the anomaly explodes like a shot. Arbitrary or regular intervals, creatures not excluded from the effect.
- Squealing: Makes a terrible enough racket to cause visual aberration or blindness. Sister of the Sound manifestation.
- Meteor Attracting: Flaming rocks fall from the sky toward this anomaly.
- Repairing: Reverses entropy in a system, such as knitting broken bones, un-breaking windows.
- Insect Attracting: Bees, bees everywhere
- Vegetation Mimicry: Vegetation takes on animal characteristics, such as walking or speaking.
- Waterspout: Produces water or other liquids in various velocity and volume.
- Vibrating: Breaks glass, causes localized earthquakes, unscrews screws.
- Defenestrating: Throws things off high places, including creatures.
- Mad Rain: Collects tools, goats, molten copper, anvils, fish, whatever, then drops them.
- Crystal/Mineral Growth: Causes extreme growth abruptly or over time in mineral and crystal structures.
- Slices: Produces perfect cracks in a variety of materials, such that an entire city block could have neat slices from several angles.
- Language Scrambler: Everyone speaks in Latin, no understanding granted.
- Lightning Attractor: Bolts of lightning, as the title.
New descriptions for existing anomaly designs
- Heat: The wax runs out your ears; no other heat detected.
- Mutagenic: Gradually turn everything into a single material, such as the contents of a tower and the tower into glass.